Be a Light for Christ!
Legacy giving is a way for you to create a long and lasting impact on your faith community. It’s a joyful way to preserve your passion and carry values forward to the next generation. Your gift will be a lasting beacon that sustains the ministries and Christian mission of the First Presbyterian Church of Urbana for years to come.
Legacy Ministry Vision
Our vision is that the FPCU Legacy Ministry will be a valuable financial bridge sustaining the significant, impactful work of FPCU from the present into the future. The ministry provides an opportunity for each of us, in addition to our annual giving, to leave a Faith Legacy supporting upkeep of the church campus, the wonderful ministries of our church, important mission work in our community and beyond, and even future renewal. Our planned gifts to any or all of three Legacy Funds – the Capital Facilities Fund, Ministries Fund, and Mission & Benevolence Endowment Fund – coupled with our unrelenting efforts to discern what God is calling us to do and to be in the future, will generate impacts far beyond our own lifetimes. Under Session’s oversight and guided by the Holy Spirit, the Legacy Ministry will enable our work as followers of Christ to be more impactful and our Church to be better prepared for new and exciting future possibilities known only to God. – Adopted by Session, September 20, 2022
The Legacy Funds
First Presbyterian Church Urbana has three Legacy Funds. Your gift can be designated to one or more of the funds or to all of the funds. If no designation is specified, your gift will be distributed equally or to the fund supporting the most pressing needs of the Church.
- Capital Facilities Fund: The income for this fund will provide support for the maintenance and upkeep of the church building. The corpus of this fund is also available for special capital needs as approved by Session.
- FPCU Ministries Fund: The income for this fund will provide support for the many ministries of the church including but not limited to Worship, Music, Fellowship, and Christian Education
- Mission & Benevolence Endowment Fund: The income for this fund will provide support in perpetuity for special programs, extended missions and extraordinary benevolences.
Every good and perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of the heavenly lights, who does not change like shifting shadow…. – James 1:17
Leaving a Faith Legacy
You are invited to support the Legacy Ministry with a planned gift. A planned gift is any gift made during your lifetime or at death that is part of your general financial or estate planning. Here are some steps you can take to create a faith legacy by making a planned gift to FPCU:
- Talk to your spouse, significant other, or other family members, to come to some decisions about one or more specific future plans, and to start a list of those decisions. Click here for a resource from the Presbyterian Foundation to help guide your decisions.
- Meet with an attorney, estate or financial advisor, or insurance agent regarding the specific action to take for leaving your faith legacy through your will, trust, life insurance beneficiary designation, or gift of appreciated stock.
- If you wish to have a preliminary discussion with someone at First Presbyterian Church of Urbana, feel free to contact Pastor David, Don Uchtmann, or any member of the Budget and Finance Committee.
Your planned gift to support the Legacy Ministry can be made through your will, trust, life insurance beneficiary designation, etc. by using language such as the following:
“I give to the First Presbyterian Church of Urbana (insert description of the gift, e.g., $10,000 or 100 shares of ABC stock) to support its Legacy Ministry.”
If you wish to specify a particular Legacy Fund(s), you may do so by adding:
“This gift is to be allocated to the (insert name of Legacy Fund, i.e., Capital Facilities Fund, Ministries Fund, or Mission & Benevolence Endowment Fund – include percentage allocation if more than one).”
Your unrestricted gift to the Legacy Ministry or gift to a particular Legacy Fund of the Legacy Ministry will be administered and used as described in the Legacy Ministry policy adopted by Session. Click HERE to see the policy governing the Legacy Ministry of First Presbyterian Church of Urbana.
- FPCU Legacy Ministry Policy
- FPCU Legacy Ministry Brochure
- Wills & Legacy Giving
- Presbyterian Foundation Estate Planning Workbook